Monday, March 31, 2014

The locals don't always know best

Sometimes it's best to ask the locals.  But sometimes the locals really don't know much and may give you the wrong information.

I had stopped for the night in Montrose (Colorado), after skiing at Snowbasin (Utah) and on my way to Crested Butte. Google Maps said that the drive from Montrose to Gunnison is about 1 hour and 15 minutes, and then there is another 30 minutes to the ski arrea.. Thus a total drive of 1 hour 45 minutes.

But, I thought the locals might give me better information.  So, I asked the night manager at the motel in Montrose how long will be the drive from Montrose to Gunnison.  She said: 2 hours, maybe even 2 and a half!  With the additional 30 minutes to the ski area, that would be a total of almost 3 hours!!! 

In the morning, I asked the day manager the same question. She said:  It's 45 miles to Gunnison, but it's a windy road, so it will take you about an hour.  That was a bit closer to the truth.  But, when I drove out of Montrose, after driving at least 60 miles per hour for about 20 minutes, I spotted a road sign saying: "45 miles to Gunnison". Add to those 45 miles the 20 miles I had already driven, and it turns out the total distance from Montrose to Gunnison is actually about 65 miles, ... and it takes 1 hour and 15 minutes to drive.

In this case, Google beat the locals!

No comments: